Corn Free and sometimes Dairy Free cooking

Monday, June 16, 2008


A Veggie Sauce For Kids Of All Ages

Corn Free, Can be made Dairy Free


I recently found this great and versatile recipe on a piece of software I purchased from the DVO Company (http://www.dvo.com). The title of the specific software this recipe comes from is, Cook'n with Agave. I think this recipe could make brussel sprouts a "special treat". I love brussel sprouts, my son does not, he's always been very clear about that. After a meal, when I served brussel sprouts with this sauce, my son told me, "you know Mom, I don't like brussel sprouts but those were really pretty good!"

Agave is wonderfully sweet, does not effect the blood sugar like most sweeteners, is natural and corn free, and in general a lovely ingredient. It is available in some specialty grocery stores and at health food stores.

I think this sauce is well worth a try, it can be made in advance and it is really fast and simple. I offer you this recipe with the hope that it may help you to add more vegetable variety to your dinner table.

Agave Herb Sauce for Vegetables

1/4 cup agave
2 Tablespoon onion, finely minced
1/4 cup butter (be sure to buy corn free butter, or substitute vegetable oil with an extra dash of salt or, use a "safe" corn free margerine)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Tools:

small sauce pan
Heat proof stirring spoon
cutting board
a good kitchen knife
a set of measuring spoons
a set of "dry" measuring cups

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes, stirring several times during cooking.

Toss with vegetables of choice such as: peas, zucchini, spinach, broccoli, green beans, cooked cauliflower or carrots or mix with baked squash and of course, brussel sprouts, etc.

Enjoy!

No comments: