Corn Free and sometimes Dairy Free cooking

Monday, June 16, 2008

The Best Salad Dressing I have found! It comes from,
Maren's Pine Tavern. A restaurant in Bend Oregon which I understand is still in business. I found this gem of a cookbook (copyright 1959) at a Library book sale. It doesn't look like much but, it is a real gem. I found a bunch of really interesting and tasty looking recipe between these covers! A treasure trove of "scratch recipes" that are either already corn free or are easily translated into corn free foods. Things I did not find everywhere else. Good Eats! Here is the recipe I use most often from this book.

Tavern Dressing

Corn Free, Dairy Free


2 cups oil
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup (see blog archive 2007)
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce (http://joeys-cooking-corner.blogspot.com/2008/06/homemade-worcestershire-sauce-after.html
2 Tablespoon finely minced onion
1 Tablespoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced or substitute, 1 teaspoon granulated/powdered garlic
Dash tobasco pepper sauce


Combine all ingredients and shake/mix well. You can place all ingredients into a jar or, a blender or, a bowl. Shake, blend or whisk, depending. I found a jar works great and I can storethe leftovers in the same jar. I love the low tech aspect of dumpng it all into a jar and shaking or handing it to a helper to shake while I attend to other cooking. This dressing should stand several hours at room temperature before it is used. It can be used sooner but, allowing it to sit, allowing the ingredients to mingle, will provide you with a richer fuller taste.
It combines well with any vegetable salad or salad greens.

It reminds me a bit of the old Kraft Catalina Dressing only much, much better!

Enjoy!

No comments: